Well, what a pleasant surprise! Thank you to Rick Jaspers for nominating me for a One Lovely Blog Award. His btweenblinks blog is well worth a visit – I particularly like his fungi but he also sometimes throws in a recipe or two.
As a cynical journalist I am resisting the temptation to think of this award as like one of those chain letters we used to have when I was at school. I always ignored the ones that were “get rich quick” or threatened dire consequences if you broke the chain. But I did once obey the instruction to send out five picture postcards in the belief that within a month I would receive hundreds back! Never did happen…
But back to the blog award – as usual, I can’t keep it simple and I am overthinking the matter. In fact it has put me “off my stride” for a couple of weeks now. How to accept? How to “spread the love” among the blogging community without the recipients dreading it?
These are the requirements, apparently.
1) Display the award graphic on your blog site, thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their site. OK, done that, more or less.
2) Share 7 things about yourself
3) Select and list 15 blogs that you believe deserve to be nominated for the One Lovely Blog Award
4) Personally inform these bloggers of their nominations, and provide a link back to their site
Flippin’ ’eck! What a palaver! Who started this award? Who set the rules? Are they gradually changing? Is it like Chinese whispers? I can see some others have “broken the rules”, but if I do that I want to reason it out first.
Firstly, 7 things about me – and even this wasn’t easy, as my first impulse was to reveal all my deepest secrets or biggest embarrassments…
1) I can’t swim. I learned to ride a bike for university but never truly mastered it and had several accidents. I also have a driving licence but don’t drive a car.
2) I have only been in hospital once, so far, with scarlet fever for three weeks and a day at the age of four.
3) I have no interest in celebrities and the only “reality” TV I like is the sort where people develop their skills, such as Strictly Come Dancing, Dancing on Ice, Pop Star to Opera Star and The Apprentice.
4) I am not athletic and hated PE at school. Later the only sports I competed in were field hockey (I was a goalkeeper), archery and rowing (I rowed at bow and was later a cox). But I love to watch rugby union.
5) My all-time favourite TV is Quantum Leap, Babylon 5, Firefly and most of the Star Trek and Doctor Who incarnations.
6) I am addicted to chocolate (although I gave up for a month recently) and occasionally addicted to (easy) computer games for a few weeks – at the moment it’s Mahjong and Jewel Quest but I also play Patience…
7) I’m hopeless at giving presents. Sometimes I am so unsure about what I have chosen for someone that in the end I don’t give it and keep it for myself…
..which brings me to the giving of nominations for this blog award.
As a lover of science fiction and as a troubleshooter in my working life, I am always thinking “what if?”
What if the person has already received the award in the past from someone else? I think some of my favourites have. But I’m not going to rule them out just because of that – or soon we would run out of good blogs to nominate and we would be scraping the bottom of the barrel.
What if the pink logo doesn’t match their colour scheme? They could always change it, I suppose…
Anyway, this is what I am going to do. Here I will name 15 REALLY LOVELY blogs that I think you should look at. I will not be “mealy mouthed” about that.
I am not going to contact them in person and tell them (because I don’t want to be embarrassed by a refusal to accept) – hopefully they will detect the link and know I appreciate what they do.
And if they do accept, I do not expect them (necessarily) to go through the angst I have gone through in fulfilling the obligations. Unless they want to.
You see? I said I was rubbish at giving…
So I give the award wholeheartedly to these 15 blogs. I’d be delighted for them to pass it on, but I also won’t mind if they just put it in the back of a drawer somewhere and forget it…
And finally – I am NOT giving an award to Jera’s Jamboree, excellent book blog that it is – because she has declared her blog an award-free zone after receiving so many! Hoorah! She has all my dilemmas solved…